Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Why I Run

Well, I thought I'd do something different and not write about my daily run (awful by the way). I am determined to turn my negative into a positive by sharing why I decided to join and keep on training for this crazy sport. My trio and I discussed our top reasons for getting up to train and here they are:

1. The Swag. You usually get awesome stuff from running a race which ranges from shirts, socks, medals, certificates, customized bibs, gift cards, samples, hats, bragging rights, etc.

2. To be healthy. Too many people are sedentary (that included us) and exercising is a great way to keep disease at bay, maintain/lose weight, and make new friends.

3. Because it's hard. If running were easy, everyone would do it and we like being part of that small percentage of people who run races.

4. It's an excuse to wear running clothes all day. This is a great one for lazy people who just want to wear their comfy gear all day and let everyone know you run.

5. For the unspoken bond between runners. We get up early in the morning, run, go to work (or home if you are unemployed like me), talk about running, read running magazines, lay our our running clothes for the next morning, eat healthy (or healthier than you would if you weren't running), go to bed early, and do it all again.

6. To feel good about myself. There is nothing that feels like how you feel after a good run. I feel energized, accomplished, strong, healthy, and just plain awesome.

7. I get to buy new stuff. I have bought and attained so much new running apparel, gear, energy supplements to try, etc. I would rather buy a new tech shirt than a new cute going out shirt now.

8. Getting closer to friends. My trio and I have grown a lot closer because we all go through the same ups and downs. We also run at about the same pace and are together every Saturday and check on each others runs. It's like our own little running family :)

9. To inspire others. I see onlookers sometimes when we run and I hope that one chubby person sees us running and says...hey if they can do it I can do it. Seriously, if I can do it anyone can.

10. To cross the finish line. I am seriously excited about the half-marathon and crossing the finish line of those 13.1 miles. I have crossed once before when Kat and I walked the first San Antonio Rock n' Roll 1/2 marathon, but this will be special since we will be running.

11. For the future. I want to pass on this healthy lifestyle to my future kids and family. I am glad that this is becoming a way of life and I want to keep it this way.

12. Lastly, to plan more runs! This is crazy, but we are already planning other half-marathons and Kat and I want to do a full marathon in late 2013.

There will be more of these coming soon...

2 comments:

  1. Y'all go right ahead with that full marathon! I'll cheer you on from the sidelines lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever, you will be doing the half next to us!

    ReplyDelete