Monday, September 5, 2011

PR Smackdown

Today is the official first week of my coached running. Monday is the easy day and we did 2 miles this morning and it was beautiful outside! There was a magical fall feeling in the air and it made everything much more pleasant. We are now incorporating planned walks into our running and our coach instructs us to have a 10 minute warm-up beforehand. We do an alternating 1 min run/1 min walk and then move on to a 4/1 pattern. This might seem to some that it would slow us down with all of this extra walking, but heck no! First of all, the 10 minutes counts towards our miles, and actually we were a lot faster today. Our PR pace to date was 15:55 and we shaved it to 15:08! We finished our 2 miles in 30.34 today and I was so proud of us! I feel so energized and my foot didn't fall asleep today until we finished!

Also, I thought I'd share briefly about Saturday with the coach. We started out with about 10 min of a yoga warm-up and then we did a group run. She ran with us and wanted everyone to finish in around 25 minutes (a 2.5 mile run) and...we are not there. She cut us around and in 27 minutes we did 1.9 miles. Not much, but it got us used to the warm-up and 4/1 pattern. After this we all gathered on the basketball court of the park and did about 25 min of yoga. It was so beautiful outside and there was a gentle breeze through our poses. I might have to invest in a thicker mat though. It hurt to have a thin mat on top of cement, especially with planks. We meet tomorrow to do a trail run in our old shoes...woo. We'll see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment