I was ready to run today. Monday I didn't run because my foot was sore from a certain petite figure that lives in my house. Tuesday I was out running and that thing that runners dread happened: I had to go to the bathroom. Stomach cramps ensued and I literally ran back to the car, luckily I wasn't far out. So, today I was pumped and ready to go. One thing that is good to do on weekday runs is to try out different forms of consumable energy (gels, beans, bars, chomps, etc)and I had found this brand called Honey Stinger* which is honey with added B vitamins. I thought, mmm honey for breakfast. Well, it tasted like honey that had little crystallized pieces in it, ew. It was semi-pleasant until my throat started to hurt. I thought this was due to the sweetness or something and drank some water in hopes of relieving my pain, no such luck.
Mom and I met Leah at North Shore to do our 30 min run and then my stomach started hurting and a mini-wave of nausea set in. I wasn't sure if today would be my day, however, I ran through it and actually did pretty well. By the end my stomach still felt a little iffy, but the honey did provide some energy. We had a PR of 2.1 miles in 31.5 minutes with an overall pace of 15:47" which is awesome. It may still be "slow", but our other record is 16:00" flat. I am proud at how we are shaving off a few seconds at a time on our weekly runs so that our race time and pace will eventually be better.
*All energy products affect people differently and the Honey Stinger Brand or regular honey works really well for some athletes. For instance, Leah prefers Sport Beans, her mom likes Chomps, and Kat and I like Powerbar Gel.
Bleh....those gels are like swallowing slime, very hot slime. LOL. Only bad thing about the beans is that they require chewing, which requires energy. Plus it's difficult to chew & breath correctly while running. Takes practice :-P
ReplyDelete