Thursday, August 18, 2011

Hot Running

Tonight we embarked on our second run with the trail running group. I was pumped, I had spent all day with Kat and we even watched "Spirit of the Marathon" to get pumped. We met Leah at the meeting point and started out OK. We had run in the evening before and thought it would be fine...however...no. It was about 103 degrees and really humid so we decided to do the short route (2.7 miles). We had a run/walk plan, but that did not help with the heat. All three of us were having a bad run where we felt stiff and much slower than usual. I have no idea what our pace was, but it took forever. Our normal run would have us do about a 29 min run today, but good grief. I finished all of my water and was covered head to toe in sweat. Leah and Kat ran on and off for 30 min and I did about 23 because I didn't want to push it in the heat. Kat had been running in the evening and she seemed fine after it was over, but Leah and I were another story. She immediately had to get into her car and put on the a/c. I felt OK at first, but even with my walking my heart was beating really fast. I drank more water and then Kat dropped me off. I literally pounded on my door at home and pushed past my parents, peeled off my clothes, and hurled myself into a cold shower. I felt horrible. Evidently, our bodies perceive the temperature to be 15 degrees higher than it really is so that means my body thought it was 118! I thought I was going to get sick at one point and then decided that I can still do the trail running in the mornings to make it up and wait until it cools off to run in the evening. I have never felt this crappy from the heat, but I learned my lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment