In the beginning...I couldn't run to save my life. I thought I'd end up one of those helpless victims (though less blonde, non-skanky, and sans the heels) in a horror movie that tripped over everything and would run out of breath while the crazy ax-wielding killer dressed like Alfred E. Newman (Mad Magazine guy) in a bunny suit would chop me into kibble. I would see people on TV in professional sports such as soccer run up and down and up and down and up and down....and then I'd pass out for them out of fatigue. I had attempted to start running several times and had dreams where I could not only run, but run so quickly that I was almost flying. This was an enticing dream about what my body could possibly do, but my feet and lungs thought otherwise. This gradually turned to physical apathy and I thought...well I guess some people are meant to run and others sit...guess who the sitter is? Later on I became a little more cynical and thought "Why run when you can walk or why walk when you can drive" was more or less my mantra...until my friend Leah moved back into town.
We both suffered from being tired and overweight and she had the idea to start running. She has run a few half-marathons and I actually walked one with my friend Kat a few years ago. All three of us combined to create a super girl running group made up of three personality, body, and temperament types. All we need are T-Shirts right? Well, where most might say that they have triumphed and are fast we, however, are not. We are lucky to be a unique group of inherently slow runners who can giggle and speak together in a tight mini-pack. Some skeptical and elite types might not call us runners because we have about a 15:30 pace, we are a bit chubby, and we haven't even ran a full 30 minutes yet. We also come late in the game since we are all knocking on 30, but there are some who start at 70 or older. A part of me is really competative (those who have ever played a game/sport/trivia with me know how I am) and I want to not only finish, but be kinda good at it. At the moment I'll settle for finishing.
I will be sharing many things here. Some might be sad, happy, disturbing, disgusting, nauseating, and otherwise exasperating. Prepare to fall, cry, sweat, and drink many skinny iced caramel macchiatos with me on my journey to finish The Woodlands Half Marathon on March 3, 2012.
I'm meeting you in 5 hrs for our run & can't sleep. Bleh. I'm sure I'll be adding plenty of insane & often hilarious stories to this blog.
ReplyDeleteOh yes, I'm sure you will :P
ReplyDelete