Saturday, August 20, 2011

Tip Toes

I can't tell you how much I look forward to Saturday runs. It plays in my head all week and I dream of personal bests and pushing myself a little further. This Saturday was no different. On the way there, I was listening to Bob Marley (Buffalo Soldier) and that was in my head half of the time. I even timed a few of my breaths to it "1-2-3, Buf-fa-lo". Hey, there are weirder things to do your breaths to!

We moved up to 35 minutes and next week is 42 and then 3 miles by Sept 1st. Today I was running with a bloody toe...yummy. Our pace was pretty OK (16:30 which includes 10 min of walking which puts us more at 16:00). I kept pretty steady and find that if I maintain good posture I run faster and more efficiently. I also stare at things on the road and try to set little goals like.."Oh, look at that light..I'll run there". However awesome this is, my feet still fall asleep around the 20-25 minute mark of running. I read in a forum in Runner's World about people who have the same problem I do. There are a lot of people like me! I took the advice of one woman who said that she ran on her tip toes for 15 seconds every mile or so and her feet woke up. I tried it and it works! I just need to do it for longer next time. Let me tell you, after a steady run of about 30 min and then you decide to go on your toes your calves kinda burn. However, it is way easier to run on feet that are awake rather than ones that you can't really feel. My motivation the whole time was a Skinny Iced Caramel Macchiato and my towel and we made it! Woot!

1 comment:

  1. I was doing my breaths to the "Ay ya ya" part of Buffalo Soldier! Haha

    ReplyDelete