Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Trail Mix

Last night we did something totally different; we ran on a dirt trail. This was not a something my group was happy about, but c'est la vie. For this lovely trek we were supposed to wear old shoes, and luckily I had a pair. When I got to Leah's I had to relace the stupid things and the plastic end of one of my laces was gone so that was fun. Also, I am sure that these shoes were not running shoes. They were an old pair of Nike Air's that from the looks of them were stability shoes. I wear neutral shoes and my shoe of choice is the Nike Zoom Vomero. Stability shoes throw me off because they over compensate my arch and cause me to put too much pressure on the outside of my foot. The neutral shoes have made me use my arches (or lack thereof) and have made them stronger.

The weather was lovely and we were ready to go. The trail was very nice and provided a lot of visual stimulation. My wonderful coach had some surprises for us along the way. We stopped three times for strength exercises. The first stop was squats, the second was walking lunges, and the third was a curtsy lunge. On the way back our trio ended up going the wrong way because we didn't realize that we crossed a bridge. Also, I think at some point all three of us tripped over roots. The girls hated the trail, but I still liked it a lot. It was easier on our legs and pretty.

After all of this, we did yoga by flashlight! The park we were at didn't have much light at night, but we managed. The yoga is always a welcome addition at the end of a run. It felt great and we found that our favorite pose is "Child's Pose". For those who don't do yoga, it is where you look like you are worshiping someone. I might as well call it lazy pose. All in all it was great fun with the large group and I look forward to seeing them all on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment